Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Tool #6 - Wikis

Even though "wiki wiki" means "quickly" in Hawaiian, I didn't move as quickly as I should have through this webpage. I spent alot of quality time reading and taking notes from other wiki's, such has my fellow bloggers. In addition, the following link is a good resource for teachers seeking innovative ideas on how they can use wikis in their classrooms:

http://www.teachersfirst.com/content/wiki/wikideas2.cfm

These activities prompted me to share an interactive activity that I've utilized in my 4th grade writing classroom. It's called "Writing Roulette" which derives from the New Jersey Writing Project. The teacher posts a writing prompt for students to write and complete a story in collaborative groups. For example, the following writing prompt could be posted on wikispaces: It was the first day of school when all of a sudden . . . . Then each student formats ideas to add two or three sentences to build a story. Some to the stories end up to be on the wild side but it encourages humor and creativity.

As for posting of a wiki, I added a checklist for the first week of school to share with teachers. I'm also working on a list of science vocabulary words in Spanish since fourth grade bilingual teachers will be teaching science in Spanish this year. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment